Thursday, July 26, 2012

I'm Kind of a Big Deal

I got a shout out on a professional arts blog that is widely read in the field! I'm having a geek moment, everybody! I've been conversing online with blogger/writer Nina Simon, who is also the director of the Museum of Art and History in Santa Cruz, CA. She pens the blog Museum 2.0, and I actually met her at a conference when I was working for the Texas Association of Museums back in 2009. A month ago I had commented on Nina's blog, giving her a suggestion for reading due to the topic she was pondering: whether or not we are becoming a more event-driven society. Actually, I've used her philosophies on museums as resources in my thesis, and once I got beyond how awkward it might be to send her my research paper that includes several references to her theories, I just gulped, clicked "send," and hoped for the best.

She thanked me for sending along my work, and a few days later she wrote me to say I had inspired her most recent post. Wow! Her post is essentially a summary of a section of my second chapter which describes the shift in cultural participation in the United States. And then she wrote a post about it! I probably shouldn't be as excited as I am, but a big name arts leader took my reading suggestion and felt as moved to write about it as I did (and she thanked me by name, which was pretty darn cool). Just goes to show you how relevant this topic is to the arts field. 

I also sent the thesis to another well-known blogger who is an arts consultant and the former director of the California Arts Council. He indicated he would be interested in doing a guest-blog post (by me!) or a blog interview about my topic. So we'll see where this goes, you never know!

3 comments:

  1. Before long, I'm sure your name will be plastered all over the interwebs, in articles and perhaps even books. I see great things in your future, Shultz. Shoot for the moon, buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go, girl.
    I also referenced your work in a letter I wrote for the East Austin Business Owners Association. They are looking for help to revitalize an area where traditionally Black businesses are being "gentrified" out of the neighborhood, and wondering if a revitalization of the arts could help their businesses. Landon in Austin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! It was so fantastic to visit your personal blog and especially to read this blog post. In addition to that I want to ask you a question that is so interesting for me. Did you try guest blogging?

    ReplyDelete