Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Ciao from Torino!

Well, I made it!  I got on a plane yesterday evening, said some teary goodbyes to Dad and Miguel, and half a day later I ended up across the globe.  I just got up from a 2 hour nap, which is quite literally all the sleep I've had since I woke up yesterday, but the adjusting will be done by tomorrow, which is good.

The flight wasn't bad - the plane had these individual screens and you were able to choose your own movies and tv shows, pretty cool.  Watched Date Night with Steve Carell and Tina Fey, mindless and entertaining.  Then I wasted 2 hours on the Miley Cyrus movie based on a Nicholas Sparks book, yikes.  And finally I decided to get serious (and, let's face it, look cultured to all those who could view my screen) and commit to Fellini's 3 hour long La Dolce Vita.  Oddly I'd never seen it: rather dismal outlook on Italian society.  Typical Italian film ending: sad and hopeless.  Even watching all those movies, I couldn't ever get to sleep, even with a little help from my friends (drowsy sinus meds).



After a stop in Frankfurt, I hopped on over to Turin airport where Elisa, friend I'd met in Austin last summer, picked me up.  She works at a chocolate shop here in the city and was happy to find me a vacant friend's apartment for tonight.  She even carried my oversized bag to the "third floor" walk-up apartment.  (Note: Italians say "3rd floor" for what we would consider the "4th floor" - not sure why they decided to disregard Mr. Groud Floor as a legitimate floor)  I was pleased to see a bed and a shower (stand-up, YES!) - not sure I required much else at that point.  She left me to rest and I swear I clocked the time for fastest hair-washing.  (See: Summer '06 Study Abroad in Rome, Host Mother yells at American Student for using too much Hot Water on undeniably thick hair.  See also: Psychological Damage and Subsequent Therapy)

I woke from my 2-hour nap to a lovely sound.  Mind you there is no such thing as air-conditioning 'round these parts and open windows are a necessity.  I almost thought I was hearing the alarm on my phone because it was so pleasant.  Shouting locals?  Zooming vespas?  Restaurant hubub?  Well, yes.  But above all this was the most delightful ringing of church bells.  I am now being gently reminded of the many beautiful subtleties Italy has to offer, and I'm looking forward to all my upcoming discoveries.

I miss you all so much already!  I'm moving into my apartment tomorrow afternoon and will send you the address as soon as possible.

Baci e Abbraci

5 comments:

  1. Miss you a ton, lady. Be careful and eat some spaghetti for me!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you for taking on this adventure! Keep blogging so we can live vicariously through you! -Sara

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can hear the Church bells now, ahhh. Oh, what's this...I'm starting to get wings..
    <3 Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  4. To quote a great lady whom we both loved: "I am thankful for you!" Thank you for sharing your journey/adventure with us.
    Landon in Austin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eat lots of delicious italian food for me! post pictures of your new place! :)

    ReplyDelete