Monday, August 30, 2010

First Day of School

I have homework.  Almost forgot what that was like, but now I've been amply reminded.  Today was my first day of graduate school.  And yes, I do feel like a big girl.  (Partially because all the roommates are undergrads and at least 2 years younger than me.  Yikes, am I old already?  ugh.)  I even brought along my glasses as to look extra studious and engaged in graduate-type material.  But I didn't ever get that nervous first-day-of-school feeling I always seem to have.

Well, I suppose you all ought to know the truth as to how small my school is.  And yes, I have been putting off posting about this because I can only imagine what you'll all think.  Let's just say that of my 3 classes today, the student:teacher ratio was 1:1, 2:1, 1:1.  Once you gather your jaw up off the floor, I'll explain...  Ok, my school has only 25 students.  I only realized this after the first day of orientation when there weren't many of us in the seminar room.  Hmm.  All I can say is, this place is legitimate, believe me, but apparently they're still in the growth period and next semester they're expecting 100.  I've been through recurring stages of stressed-out, wonderment, and blatant disbelief, but now that's all subsided.


"The Mosaic Room"

When I went to my classes today and started talking with my professors, I realized this is the right thing for me.  Sure you could probably fit the entire school in your back pocket, but I kind of like that.  Coming from a school where virtually no one outside of your friends knows your name, it's nice to have the entire staff know your name and course of study.  Everyone here is so accommodating and friendly.  Today the President, Dr. Bernardini, called me into his office by name and asked me if I'd like to meet once a week to practice my Italian informally.  He'd noticed I was the only non-Italian who wasn't enrolled in Italian courses and he thought I might like an opportunity to continue learning.  Now that type of personal attention I could never have experienced at UT - I'm not even sure I could tell you what Bill Powers looks like.

My Project Management/Policies, Law & Politics teacher from Malaga, Spain, is an artist whose work is exhibited all across Europe.  She used to teach at the University of Seville and worked at Christie's Auction House in London.  Now she works with a firm that helps private collectors build and improve their collection.  My Intro to Managing Arts Organizations teacher from Germany is a renowned Historian of 19th Century Italian Art who commutes 5 hours (one way) by train from Tuscany to teach two courses at my school - one of which only has 1 student :)  So I know I'm getting a legitimate education, guys!  Plus, it's hard.  Already.  I know it's only the first day, but I can tell.  I'm getting that nervous oh-shit-can-I-really-do-this feeling, but I know I can.  Plus I'm the only one in my program (and the first, btw) so I'd better!

Prayers, good vibes and general happy thoughts are all welcomed and appreciated.  Feel free to share your thoughts below.

xoxoxo

4 comments:

  1. Thx 4 the update.
    Regarding homework, it helps me to think of it as preparation work; that is, work that I need to get done so that I can be adequately prepared to contribute to the next class period.
    The story of the President offering to spend time with you is wonderful. I hope you will avail yourself of this opportunity, and share with us regarding some of the topics which come up during in your conversations.
    Landon in Austin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will be setting the bar high for the incoming students, I'm sure! Grad school was the busiest time of my life, but it was so rewarding to see my professional and personal passions strengthening and intertwining. I have a feeling your experience will be similar. You are going to do great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How many people in the Theoretical Gellato class? -C

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah yeah yeah...."Come meet with ME weekly for an 'Italian refresher'?!?!? The Prez thinks he's slick, doesn't he? The oldest trick in the book! I'm on my way there now to take care of this bum!!

    Just playing beautiful. I miss you terribly and know that no matter what the circumstance, you will make the best of it. I think it's great that you're kind of the "trailblazer" for the university. Only thing is, you can't fall asleep in class :(
    Miss you darling......

    ReplyDelete