Friday, August 27, 2010

I Capture the Castle

I'm finally done with orientation.  It was a lengthy 2-day process explaining every possible thing one would need to know about being a student *yawn.*  I also had to begin the process of applying for my permit to stay, which is separate from the visa.  I like to think of it as a pointless document only in existence so Italy can legally pry 60 euros out of our poor student hands.  Ugh.

More exciting than this is that I moved into my apartment and met all my roommates.  All 5 of them.  Yes, we are six girls and there is one shower.  You do the math :)  They are all great, one is from France, one from Germany, two from New York and another (the girl with whom i share a room) is from California.  We are all in a 3 bedroom apartment in Torino several blocks from the bus which we ride 20ish minutes to get to Vinovo where the campus is located.


This is my little bed by the window.  We've got marble floors and old furniture, chandeliers and french doors.  Oh, and a faux-wood paneled refrigerator.  The lack of A/C means we're leaving the doors open all the time (at least until it gets cold) and as a result the mosquitos are coming in at night.  Catch 22, really.  I'm excited about living in the city, the other students are staying in the small town where the campus is, but you all know me, I like to be where the action is.  My roommates and I all get along rather well and we enjoy learning each other's languages.  And I'm the only one who speaks Italian so I'm now the designated translator and asker-of-directions.

The campus is very quaint, as is the town of Vinovo.  Please take time to note the picture below:


Oh wait, I'm sorry, I didn't mention before that it's a 16th century castle?!  My mistake.  (I forewarned you about these bursts of hubris, do forgive me).  So this is my school, once used as a getaway by popes, kings, even Napoleon.  As universities come (namely my Alma Mater) it's tiny, as this is the only building, but already I feel so welcomed by the administration, faculty and other students.  We are like a little international family here.  Castello della Rovere is still under renovations, but there are original frescoes and mosaics that are quite the sight to behold.  There is a cafe underneath the castle for grabbing lunch, sipping coffee or using wifi.  

All in all, I am rather enjoying the setting of my latest academic pursuit and I look forward to starting classes on Monday.  More updates then, and possibly laments about teachers/course loads/subjects.

Missing all of you so much :)
  

5 comments:

  1. I had been wondering if "flat baroque" were a comment on your economic condition, or a description of an elaborately appointed apartment. Given that your dwelling has marble floors and chandeliers, it appears that the latter alternative may be the case, though the extraction of 60 euros from your account lends some credence to the former option as well. ;o)
    Our love and prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. August is almost over, I'm sure you won't be missing A/C must longer. I hope you have a heater for the upcoming fall/winter seasons. :) Miss you like crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear everything is lovely. It certainly all seems to suit you. So sad you won't be here for the festivities tomorrow, but to be perfectly honest, I almost wish I was there, too :) Love, Allison

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww I love it! Attending school in a castle? That's great! I'm glad you get along with your roomates... I miss you... I know I didn't see you that much... But I knew you were here. I love the pictures! Love, estrella

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh wait, did i mention that you forgot to pack me in your suitcase?!?!? miss you pretty lady!

    ReplyDelete