Tuesday, February 15, 2011

When One Door Closes...

Another one's supposed to open, right?  Step 3 on wikiHow's "How to Handle Rejection" page suggested writing a blog post, so here I am staring blankly at the metaphorical door that just slammed in my face this afternoon.  My application for an internship at the Guggenheim in Venice wasn't accepted.  I've just packed all my emotional baggage and moved to DisappointedTown, population: 1.  *Sigh*  What's most bothersome is how bloody qualified I am for this position.  I have plenty of experience and proven initiative along with a degree in Art History, one in Italian, and a Master's in the works - what more could they want, exactly?  I also have to admit I'm not used to rejection.  It's part of life, I know.  We can't always get what we want, blah blah blah, but whyyyyy?  I work hard.  I play hard, granted, but it's because I've worked hard enough to merit the occasional day trip to a neighboring village or a sinfully caloric 3-flavored gelato.

I did my homework, ergo I deserve this.

Well, they did specify on the website that it wasn't recommended to apply during the summer due to the high volume of candidates, but heck it's the only time I can do the darn thing.  I was somewhat anticipating a negative response, which is why I applied to the National Gallery in DC as well, but I'll be honest and say I felt rather confident I would be accepted.  I've always been accepted.  (How obnoxious do I sound right now? Sorry.)  But really, I'm awesome; feel free to check my facts on that.  I guess just not by European standards.  They probably have candidates who've done some junior curatorship at the Louvre or a conservation apprenticeship at the Uffizi, who knows.  Europeans.  They have all the history, and now they have all the jobs too!  My professor was telling me when she worked at Christie's in London they had an arrangement with the Guggenheim in Venice and they always had 2 spots for "the best" students, or really the ones with the most money or those whose parents were on the list of donors.  C'est la vie.

Unflattering as it may be, this was taken in Venice and currently reflects my mood.

I know, I've got to look at the positive side.  Everything happens for a reason; something more suitable for me will present itself and all will be fine.  It just sucks not always getting what you want, you know?  But I am glad I at least tried.  I put a lot of effort into the application and I even had my name circulating in a few stateside prayer groups to boost my odds for success.  The more I live in this world the more I realize it still really is just about who you know and oftentimes what you know is irrelevant.  Yet in learning more we are exposed to new ideas, fresh points of view, concepts that challenge us -- and through this experience we can hone our skills, discover new interests and develop as intellectual beings.

Hard to be sad when life (and the pizza/beer combo) is so good.

It's a rather vulnerable situation, applying for jobs, putting yourself out there describing your wants, dreams and ambitions, only to be rejected by someone who hasn't even met you (or read your blog, for that matter!)  But I'm realizing that the very reason I'm saddened by this situation is the reason I'll be able to quickly overcome it.  I know I'm an excellent candidate; I have the experience, the passion, and the determination to land a job or internship in my field and I won't stop trying to succeed.  I want to learn, to grow, to make my family proud, to realize my potential.  I want to self-actualize and a "no" from the Guggenheim isn't going to throw a wrench in my plan.  Heck, summers in Venice would be tourist-ridden and generally insufferable anyway.  Plus I hear it gets muggy, and Lord knows I don't like being sweaty.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about it babe. I'm about to apply for a job I would kill for and I'm worried I'm getting my hopes up a little too much because sometimes people are stupid and reject you even though you're perfect! Anyway, I love you muchos and I would hire you in a heartbeat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another door always opens...and you're absolutely awesome...and I'm not saying that just because we're related. ;) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Life tends to throw wrenches in your plans for what may seem like no reason at all, but it's all part of a much greater plan. Sure, you didn't get THIS internship, but it's their loss, really. And one day, when YOU'RE head curator of the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NY, you can look back and smile knowing what you've known all along: you're way too good for little ol' Venice.

    ReplyDelete