Thursday, September 2, 2010

Hope for the Hopeless

I'm going to get real for a second, so please disregard if you're not into hearing a pathetic anecdote:

I've been thinking all day about posting something related to emotions.  This thing is sort of an online journal, right?  Well, I have been adjusting here quite well, I'm really enjoying myself and so far I can count on 2 fingers the number of times I've felt melancholy since my arrival.  One of them was the first night in the new apartment when I couldn't get to sleep until 3:30 AM and unfortunately, the other was today.

Ok, we all know I can be a bit...emotional at times.  I admit, I cried during an iPhone commercial recently.  (It really tugged at my heartstrings!)  I like to think of my "emotional" quality as an ability to empathize, though sometimes it plagues me.  Perhaps I could chock it up to my astrological sign, Pisces, which is classically characterized as oversensitive and extremely compassionate.  But I'm not really into all that.

Today was my second day of Accounting lessons.  *insert dramatically painful sigh*  Though it may sound silly to be affected by cost-volume-profit relationships, I can honestly say I haven't felt this hopeless in ages.  My professor, a native Italian, was lecturing what he thought to be the basics of Managerial Accounting by presenting detailed flow charts and balance sheets.  He may as well have been speaking German because I had absolutely no idea what he was talking about.  At all.

Excerpts from my notes: "what the *$@# is he talking about?" "this suuuuuuucks."

I went into the confinement of the bathroom after class and yes, I cried a little bit.  I thought, why are you such a baby? this is just an accounting class and you need to study!  But as I sat there I thought about what it means for me to cry and let emotions spill out.  It's cathartic, a sort of therapeutic exorcism of negativity and stress.  I thought about the fact that I felt I had to hide from everyone that I was overwhelmed and upset.


Then I remembered my walk to the bus from school the day before when I'd passed by a funeral procession that took up the entire main street.  There were about 50 people in front of the town's church watching the casket being placed into the hearse.   Everyone was openly crying, even sobbing - just letting themselves release what they felt.  There were passersby asking "who is it?" and then staying to give the family hugs and share in their grief.  I felt such solidarity just walking among them.

Maybe that's what this blog can do for me.  I feel that if I'm going to write here and essentially live out loud, I may as well be honest and acknowledge that sometimes I feel a little down.  Maybe by admitting I have feelings of hopelessness through this post, I can let that feeling go and have the reassurance of my friends and family to give me confidence.

Ugh, hard to believe Accounting made me feel the need to write all of that, I hope it made sense and I hope you can all continue to send me good thoughts and positive feelings.  I'm going to need it!

9 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your heart with us. Sharing your heart is a good strategy, because keeping connected with people who love you is one of the best ways to keep hope alive.

    On the flip side of that, feeling lack of connection can lead to loss of hope, which is why the Accounting class, which felt at the time like it didn't connect to much that you value, called those feelings up in you.

    Believe it or not, accounting actually does have some value, because you have to have a least some grasp of the flow of resources if you are going to work in the world of art. You don't have to be an accountant yourself, but you need to understand enough of the language of accountants that you can work with those who actually enjoy that type of work.

    Keep posting, and keep sharing honestly from your heart. And as far as your having a tender heart, I never met your maternal grandparents, but I know that your paternal grandparents both had tender hearts, and that was part of what made them the wonderful people that they were.

    We love you.
    Kristin and Landon in Austin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you are so aware, I understand the overwhelming sensation condensed in your note during class. In time you will understand the material; right now it is so new to you!

    It's okay to release your emotion by crying. As Kristin and Landon have said, you have unconditional support and love from us as we know your heart and determination well.

    Love you ~

    ReplyDelete
  3. The tears are gifts from God. They can wash away what weighs us down, body and soul. Heaven knows, you come by them naturally.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are your father's child :) --Allison

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beneath the tears is a strong woman who can overcome the obstacles that come her way. Hang in there, we're here for you and we believe in you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your feelings with us... We've shared so much over these last years. And of course it's always something crazy or minor that puts us over the edge. It's ok to cry and let it out... Sometimes we just need a moment to vent. It's a little scary sometimes... Just take a deep breath and be that strong girl I know and love. The one who listened to me, the one who shared dawsons creek, felicity... And the one who cringed with me when a great UT professor said "it's like a glove in a bucket full of blood".

    I'm so proud of you... Just keep your head up Bonita.

    Estrella

    ReplyDelete
  7. Accounting is nonsensical; find a tutor or friend who can help you out. You can do it. I know you may be overwhelmed but just think of all the people supporting you back home and even the new friends you've made in Italia!
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you weren't the most intelligent woman I know, I'd be worried for you.

    You will do great and it's only natural that you will be a little scared of the unfamiliar. Give it some time darling and you will do beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Accounting is enough to make anybody cry.

    You're not alone. I've gotten teary eyed during those darn commercials, too. You should see me when I watch So You Think You Can Dance. Yes...I admit it. I watch a reality show, and I cry when a routine is beautifully choreographed and danced.

    Please don't worry about having some crying jags. We can send care boxes with Puffs Plus if you can't find them out there. ;o)

    I love you, sweetie. I wish I had a daughter just like you.

    Holly

    ReplyDelete