Wednesday, September 29, 2010

A Free Lunch

No such thing, huh?  Read on.

By now you may have discovered this blog was named in an attempt to not only play with a theme present in Northern Italian art and architecture, but also to convey my current plebeian status.  You see, I've got a knack for making things last, stretching a dollar and getting by with what I have.  Quite frankly, living in Italy without a job-- let's just say I have my work (or lack thereof) cut out for me.  As you've seen in previous posts, I've been able to find food fairly cheaply, but my how things add up around here!  Plus you've got the whole euro-dollar conversion factor.  I've started to feel rather uneasy about spending money without making any in the meantime.  In fact, this is the first time I've been without a job and/or internship since high school.

it's kinda like monopoly money.

In an effort to better understand just where my (read: dad's) money goes, I've started to keep a journal of everything I spend.  (Shout out to my Aunt Holly for buying me the cute handmade journals, one of which now serves a practical purpose).  A goal of mine, even before this trip, has been to gain better financial awareness.  Ever since I saw a friend of mine at a bar ask for a receipt and promptly write down her expenditure.  I thought, Wow, I should proooooobably be doing that.  For 2 weeks now I've kept the journal in my purse/backpack/grocery bag and calculated my remaining totals.  It's slightly painful to see how things add up, 1.5 euro for gelato, 3.50 euro at the cafe, 10 euro for the museum, 44 euro for the bus pass *cringe!* but it's helpful to see everything itemized.

(Ok, I just realized I'm writing a post about financial awareness.  Does this mean I'm growing up?  Nooooooo!  Must stay young forever.)

The only person in the world who could be getting by spending less in my shoes these days would have to be my brother :)  Nonetheless, you'll all be happy to know I'm not only very responsible when it comes to money (see: rejecting invitation to Milan for a shopping bonanza, selecting the biggest jar of Nutella because I get 75g free!) but I'm also clever.  Yesterday I had my first meeting with Dr. Bernardini, President of the University, resident of Lago Como, Renaissance historian, Italian language extraordinaire.  We'd scheduled a meeting last week to which he didn't show - I know, unacceptable, right?  Well he apologized profusely for the oversight in appointments and I quipped, "No worries, but now you owe me lunch and conversation!" to which he laughed, perhaps even guffawed.

victory tastes so good.

So yes, I guilted the President of the University into buying my lunch, but hey, a girl's gotta eat.  And risotto ain't cheap, you can ask my spending journal.  Anyway, we had a pleasant lunch, speaking of our professional interests and his several years spent in Austin back in the early 90s - (didn't mention I was barely teething back then.)  We spoke of his experience teaching at Boston University and his reasons for taking his current position at St. John.  He corrected my Italian when necessary and taught me a few new words, both of which I appreciated.  All in all it was very enjoyable, he encouraged my Italian, complimented my accent, and even laughed sincerely at my fumbled attempts to be witty (which, by the way, isn't easy in another language!)

I'm looking forward to more meetings with the President and (hopefully) more lunches.  Plus, I saw his car outside, he's got a Jaguar - no FIAT for this fellow.  I'm sure he can spare the euro where this little flat baroque lady cannot!

xoxoxo

2 comments:

  1. Much like our grandfather, I don't pinch every penny, I just give them a really hard squeeze on the way out. Reminds me of the time I got my new cell phone in college and I didn't like any of the new ringtones that came on it. Dad told me to just buy a ringtone, to which I replied that there was no way I was going to spend $2.99 on a ringtone. After some choice words, dad bought the ringtone for me; either out of compassion or utter frustration I never knew :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course you got free lunch, that does not surprise me one bit. Your ability to get free things, whether with your charm, your beauty or your brains (or any combination thereof), has never ceased to amaze me. I hope you used this opportunity to convince yourself you deserve a gelato (have one for me, too!). :)

    ReplyDelete