Saturday, September 4, 2010

Leap of Faith

I'd like to thank everyone for the words of encouragement and support.  It is such a wonderful thing to be so loved and supported by friends and family.  I felt much better after receiving all of your positive comments and I think that with a little dedication I will be able to overcome these obstacles.

On Friday a few of the roommates and I ventured to the city center where we'd previously been on the tour.  We remembered seeing a sign for "un voletto" (a little flight) across the Po River via zipline.  Only 3 of us had the gumption to go out there and do it, and given my love of roller coasters and skydiving, I jumped at the chance.


My French roommate, Natalie, and my German roommate, Ricarda, were excited all week about going to "fly" across the river but once we got there, they started shaking!  Next thing I know, I've been volunteered to go first.  Then when the workers realized I understood Italian they proceeded to give me all the safety instructions in their native tongue.  Hmm, ok.  No time to be nervous, only time to concentrate on verbs and conjugations.  A few moments later I understand the guy is telling me to launch myself off the side of the river, and off I go flying across the Po.




The flight across only lasted a few seconds, but it was a wonderful feeling of weightlessness and serenity as I watched the river pass beneath my feet.  Only moments later I made it to the other side, realizing that my slight anxiety hadn't been worth the trouble.  Sometimes it just takes faith to believe you can succeed in doing something, whether its jumping off the side of a bridge or studying for a seemingly impossible subject.

Hope that wasn't too cheesy of a metaphor for everyone :)

xoxoxo

3 comments:

  1. Wow! What a wonderful story! Thank you so much for sharing. I have tears in my eyes as I write. Hmm. Does that mean we are related?

    Thank you again for posting your "account" of your experience in class. I was blessed by reading the encouraging and supportive responses of your friends and loved ones.

    Landon in Austin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren,

    You look like you've lost weight in your photo! It must be all of the fabulous, fresh food you are eating. Your zipline experience sounds and looks wonderful. It also sounds like you are in the very best place you should be in at this point in your life.

    Sandy in Austin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandy! Thank you for commenting :) I'm so glad you're following my blog. Keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete