Tuesday, September 28, 2010

University of Terror

I'm feeling fairly shaken this evening due to the events at UT today -- it's horrible to think there are still acts of terrorism like this and I'm relieved there were no victims.  The aggressor took his own life, and my thoughts go out to his family, I hate to think what must have been going through his mind.  It's frightening to think this happened so close to home, it gives me goosebumps even from across the Atlantic.  The library where the gunman entered was adjacent to the museum where I was working only 1.5 months ago.


It's always hard to believe when these things happen in our backyard, as we tend to think they happen elsewhere.  The fact is, we never know when our last day could be -- it's a true blessing no one was hurt by the gunman.  I still know several people in classes on the UT campus and I was happy to see via Facebook they were all safe at home or away from school.

I was explaining the situation to the roommates this afternoon when I returned from school and received the Urgent email from the university.  The Americans were shocked and sad that these things still happen in schools, and oddly the Europeans were incredulous.  Ricarda and Nathalie couldn't believe it when I told them it wasn't the first time The University of Texas has experienced terrorist acts -- the sniper who shot 14 people from the tower in 1966.  They hadn't heard of the events at Columbine or Littleton, Colorado.  I remember being in middle school and having to buy a clear backpack so the administration see if you had weapons.  I also remember bomb threats and teachers finding student hit lists.  Is this a purely American phenomenon?

I find it heartbreaking that people can be so troubled as to threaten or take the lives of others, even themselves.  God help us all.

Note from the University President:

I am grateful to our campus community for the way it responded to the emergency that took place at Perry-Castañeda Library this morning.  The University Police Department and the Austin Police Department responded quickly and professionally.  Law enforcement teams from multiple agencies worked together to ensure that the entire campus was safe.

I want to thank our faculty, staff, and students for their cooperation and vigilance.  Our emergency communications system reached thousands of members of the University community promptly and helped keep the campus informed.

I extend my sympathy to the family, friends, and classmates of the young student who took his life.  In the days ahead we will attempt to understand his actions and to learn from this tragedy.  We invite those who would like counseling services to contact the Counseling and Mental Health Center (for students) or the Employee Assistance Program (for staff and faculty).

I know that this has been a stressful experience for everyone on the campus.  I appreciate the cooperation we received from students, faculty, staff, and their families in responding to this difficult situation.

Sincerely,

Bill Powers
President

4 comments:

  1. Christian shared the same disbelief this morning when we woke to sirens going off on UT campus. He said things like this Never happen in Australia, and also questioned if it was just an American thing. What is that causes someone to be so disillusioned and mad that they commit such an atroshish crime? Is the Bureaucracy of the school system? Crazy? I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a student of both liberal arts and natural sciences, I remember being very stressed out during some parts of the semester by my science degree (you and sari saw how i would disappear). The liberal arts department while it is very competitive is nowhere near as stressful as the science department. Unfortunately, some people can't cope with stress, and we have these tragedies =( Sending out love and good vibes to everyone =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. at least whitman had a GIANT tumor in his brain that caused him to be a crazy person (not that that justifies sniping people from a tower...). i don't know what causes a person to run around waving a gun in the air and then shooting themselves in the library at 8 AM..well, besides being awake and in a library at 8 AM. I told you, libraries are no good and killers lurk there.

    Thank goodness UTPD was on the ball!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As was the State Police and County SWAT team. I saw them in action out there. It was awesome.

    ReplyDelete